If you’ve lived in Florida for any period of time, you know what comes with summer —hurricane season. Often times Florida residents become a little relaxed with regards to preparing for storm season. At Insight, we have come up with a few easy tips that will help you get prepared and still leave time to soak in the sun!
- If you own property, take a weekend or a week day evening to trim the trees and bushes, and clear clutter from the yard. When a hurricane comes, you don’t want to worry about an overgrown tree meeting you in your bedroom or your bicycle meeting your car windshield.
- Consider investing in hurricane shutters or purchasing window-sized wood panels with all the necessary hardware to hang them so that you’re ahead of the game if a hurricane approaches.
- Purchase water now! You know how it is when we hear that a hurricane is coming, don’t you? Everyone waits until the last minute and then boom! Chaos. Get your water now, and while you’re at it, pick up flashlights, batteries, non-perishable foods, candles, and matches. Do you have pets? Better get some extra food for them too.
- Stock up on medications. The last thing you want to be worried about after a hurricane hits is when the pharmacy will be open again. It’s best to stock up on some of your must-have medicines so you have peace of mind!
- Create your emergency plan now. Have one point of contact outside of the home that you can call and update. This person can then assure your family that everything is okay if phone lines are too busy to handle the load of incoming calls. Make sure this trusted friend or family member has the contact information for those you want informed of your situation. Additionally, plan an emergency route in case you need to evacuate on short notice. Make sure everyone in the family knows it. It also helps to have a rendezvous point in case you’re taking multiple cars.
We know that living in Florida has its perks. With all this sunshine there is the threat of hurricanes and we want you to be prepared.
Do you have any tips to add to this list? Share them with us in the comments below.