After a long day at school or work, there’s nothing better than some good comfort food. Help you and your family settle into the cooler weather with this all-time cheesy favorite. The artisan bread lends a depth of flavor to a classic sandwich and will have both kids and adults begging for more. Even better – you’ll be saving money by dining in.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces white mushrooms, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 slices caraway rye bread
8 deli slices Havarti or Gouda cheese
2-4 tablespoons butter
1. Heat a large skillet over a medium-high flame. Add olive oil and heat.
2. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent and soft.
3. Add mushrooms and continue sautéing until onions have caramelized and mushrooms have cooked through. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
4. To assemble sandwiches, layer the mushroom mixture with the cheese between two slices of bread.
5. Return skillet to stove over a medium flame and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
6. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and fry a few minutes on each side, until the bread browns and cheese has melted. Add butter to pan in between sandwiches as needed.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings